Harold Agnew, SM’49, PhD’49. (US Department of Energy/Los Alamos National Laboratory)

University obituaries

Recent faculty, staff, and alumni obituaries.

Faculty and Staff

Damaris (Hendry) Day, U-High’46, PhB’50, a retired member of the University of Chicago Office of Admissions, died August 31. She was 82. A lifelong Hyde Park resident, Day worked for the admissions office for 33 years, retiring in 1992. She also was an artist. Survivors include a sister, Cynthia Henry-Philips, U-High’45, PhB’50.


Alma (Satorius) Lach, X’38, died October 21 in Ann Arbor, MI. She was 99. One of the first Americans to receive the Grand Diplôme from Le Cordon Bleu Paris, Lach was food editor of the Chicago Sun-Times from 1957 to 1965. She also hosted a local children’s television show about cooking and served as a consultant for restaurants and Midway Airlines. In 1974 her Hows and Whys of French Cooking was the first general-interest book published by the University of Chicago Press. From 1978 to 1981, she served as a resident master in Shoreland Hall, convincing the University to install a gourmet kitchen in her apartment. In 2007 the Chicago chapter of the Les Dames d’Escoffier International honored Lach as a Dame of Distinction. Her husband, Donald F. Lach, PhD’41, the Bernadotte E. Schmitt professor of modern history emeritus, died in 2000. She is survived by a daughter, Sandra Lach Arlinghaus, U-High’60; a grandson; and a great-grandson.

Eleanor Sharts Cumings-Hood, AB’36, died October 14 in Pleasant Hill, CA. She was 98. Cumings-Hood was a history major at the University, where she met her future husband, Edgar C. Cumings, PhD’36, in the Harper Reading Room. After raising three boys, she took great pride in heading the Tanner Philosophy Library at Stanford for many years. Edgar died in 1988, after 50 years of marriage. In 1999 she married Eugene Hood of Richmond, CA, who died in 2004. Cumings-Hood is predeceased by two sons and her grandson Ian Woo Cumings, who was a third-year student in the College when he died in an automobile accident in 2010. She is survived by her son Bruce Cumings, history department chair and the Gustavus F. and Ann M. Swift distinguished service professor, and two grandchildren.


Shirley (Bowman) Baum, AB’44, AM’47, died October 16 in Tallahassee, FL. She was 90. A social worker, Baum was active in the Florida State University community while her husband, Werner A. Baum, SB’43, SM’44, PhD’48, was dean of its College of Arts and Sciences. Her husband died in 1999, and her daughter Janice Baum, AM’75, died in 2011. Survivors include a daughter and four grandchildren.

Maryce (Klaff) Sloan, AB’44, MBA’47, died October 15 in Northfield, IL. She was 89. A WW II Navy WAVES officer, Sloan worked for the Federal Reserve Bank in Chicago and the State of Illinois Department of Employment Security, retiring in the early 1990s. She also served for many years on the Brandeis University National Women’s Committee and was active in her local parent-teacher association. Her husband, Howard Sloan, AB’40, AM’41, died in 2008. Survivors include four sons and eight grandchildren.

Muriel Eileen (Nimer) Goldman, PhB’45, died October 4 in Portland, OR. She was 87. Goldman was a child welfare advocate who assisted six Oregon governors on juvenile justice, children’s mental health, and other family issues. A founding member of Children First for Oregon, she also served on a statewide task force on early childhood development issues. Goldman’s awards for service included an Oregon Governor’s Volunteer Award. Her husband, Marvin Goldman, PhB’46, SB’47, MD’50, died in 2009. She is survived by three daughters and three grandchildren.

Martha (Mitchell) Bigelow, AM’44, PhD’46, of Clinton, MS, died October 8. She was 92. A historian, Bigelow was chair of Mississippi College’s history and political science department. In 1971 she became director of historical programs for the State of Michigan, helping to launch the Michigan Historical Museum in Lansing. Bigelow retired in 1991 and moved back to Mississippi. She is survived by two daughters, two brothers, and three grandchildren.

Joseph Jurich, PhB’46, AM’51, of Chestnut Hill, MA, died July 10, 2011. He was 84. Jurich taught writing and literature at institutions including the University of Florida, Boston University, and Framingham (MA) State University, where he retired as a professor of English. Afterward, he was elected a Brookline Town Meeting member. Survivors include his wife, Marilyn; a daughter; and two sisters.

Rebecca (Blumberg) Carter, AM’47, of Soquel, CA, died September 1. She was 89. A psychiatric social worker, Carter worked at the VA hospital in Palo Alto, CA, before raising her children. When her youngest child started elementary school, she returned to her career, first at a school for emotionally disturbed children and then at Dominican Hospital in Santa Cruz, CA. After 17 years as a psychological counselor at the University of California, Santa Cruz, Carter retired in 1990. She is survived by her husband, David; a daughter; two sons; and two grandchildren.

Leon F. Strauss, PhB’47, of Chicago, died in September. He was 88. Strauss, a WW II Army Infantry veteran and a University of Chicago Athletics Hall of Fame member, represented the United States in fencing at the 1948 and 1952 Olympics. A stockbroker for 45 years, he was named one of the nation’s top 100 stockbrokers by Money magazine. Survivors include his wife, Katherine; three daughters; a son; six grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

Ruth (Rogan) Benerito, PhD’48, died October 5 in Metairie, LA. She was 97. In 1953 Benerito joined the US Department of Agriculture’s Southern Regional Research Center. As director of its cotton chemical reactions laboratory, Benerito helped invent wrinkle-resistant cotton. With 55 patents—many in cotton chemistry—Benerito retired in 1986 and became an adjunct professor at the University of New Orleans. Her awards included a Lemelson-MIT Lifetime Achievement Award.

Harold Agnew, SM’49, PhD’49, a physicist who helped build the world’s first nuclear reactor and atomic bombs, died September 29 in Solana Beach, CA. He was 92. After working with Enrico Fermi and witnessing the first self-sustained nuclear chain reaction, Agnew joined Los Alamos National Laboratory in 1943. Two years later, riding in a B-29 bomber that flew alongside the Enola Gay, he measured the shock wave from the Hiroshima bombing. After earning his PhD, he returned to Los Alamos, where he helped perfect the first hydrogen bomb. In the 1960s Agnew served as a scientific adviser to the supreme allied commander in Europe. He then was named head of Los Alamos’s weapons division, ultimately serving as the lab’s director from 1970 to 1979, when he became president and CEO of General Atomics. In 1978 Agnew advised President Jimmy Carter against seeking a comprehensive ban on nuclear testing; Carter’s proposal was eventually dropped. Agnew retired in 1985 but continued to defend nuclear energy and worked to reduce the risk of nuclear war. Survivors include a daughter, a son, four grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

Jean (Staver) Coe, PhB’49, of Scottsdale, AZ, died September 4, 2012. She was 88. Coe enjoyed playing tennis and bridge. Her husband, Donald L. Coe, AB’45, MBA’49, died in 1998. Survivors include a son.

Robert Reed Stormer Jr., AM’49, of Chambersburg, PA, died September 23. He was 88. A WW II Army veteran, Stormer spent 31 years with the US State Department, managing the allowances and benefits program for civilian federal employees living abroad. Upon retiring in 1982, he received the department’s Superior Honor Award. Stormer is survived by his wife, Anna; three daughters; and six grandchildren.


Nicole Denier Long, X’50, died August 24 in Reston, VA. She was 92. Born in France, Long volunteered with the French resistance during WW II, rescuing Jewish infants from the Nazis and bringing them to safe houses in southern France and Italy; later she hid Jewish refugees in her Paris apartment. While in the resistance, she earned a classical literature degree at the Sorbonne. She met John V. Long, AB’49, JD’51, an American GI, in Paris at the end of the war and married him soon thereafter. She pursued graduate studies at UChicago and taught French at Northwestern before moving to the Washington, DC, area, where she joined Mount Vernon College (now part of George Washington University) in 1953 as a professor of French, Latin, and Greek. Long later helped create the college’s adult education department and became dean of continuing education. She retired in 1986. Her husband died in 2004. She is survived by a daughter; a son, Olivier D. Long, AB’73; and four grandchildren, including Alexandra D. Long, AB’11.

Bernard “Bud” Greensweig, MBA’51, died September 3 in Royalton Township, MN. He was 84. An executive in Minneapolis and Atlanta, Greensweig also ran his own law practice. He played the violin with local orchestras, including the Atlanta Pops Orchestra, and with string quartets. Survivors include his wife, Jacquelyn; a daughter; two sons; and six grandchildren.

Philip I. Marcus, SM’53, of Storrs, CT, died September 1. He was 86. Marcus was a pioneering virus expert who was the first scientist to clone HeLa cells, which created a standard method for cloning animal cells. While on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Marcus helped develop a test to detect the rubella virus. In 1969 he was named head of the University of Connecticut’s microbiology section. In his 44 years on the school’s faculty, he created the Virus and Interferon Research Laboratory, directed the Biotechnology/Services Center, and received awards from the university for his teaching and research. Marcus also served 18 years as editor in chief of the Journal of Interferon Research (now the Journal of Interferon and Cytokine Research). Survivors include his wife, Angela Marcus, AB’53; two daughters; a son; and two granddaughters.

Mary (Wilson) Schubert, SM’53, of Temple, NH, died August 15. She was 83. Before raising her family, Schubert worked for IBM as a computer programmer and later as a tax preparer. A member of local pastoral councils, she was also active in community affairs. Schubert is survived by three sons and seven grandchildren.

Betty H. Keoughan, AM’54, of Evanston, IL, died October 9. She was 84. Keoughan taught Latin at New Trier High School for 25 years and was a painter. Survivors include three brothers.

Arthur Joshua Weitzman, AB’54, AB’56, AM’57, of Cambridge, MA, died August 21. He was 79. A scholar of 18th-century literature, Weitzman taught English at Northeastern University for more than three decades. In addition to editing Letters Writ by a Turkish Spy (Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1970), Weitzman wrote articles on Jonathan Swift, Alexander Pope, and Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, and was a cofounder and editor of the Scriblerian. A cyclist, Weitzman and his wife, Catherine Ezell, toured the United States and Europe by bicycle and wrote travel pieces for the Los Angeles Times, the Boston Globe, and other publications. Survivors include his wife, a daughter, a son, and four grandchildren.

Ewald Christian Braeunig, MBA’58, of La Mesa, CA, died September 7. He was 90. An Army Air Force veteran, Braeunig served in WW II, the Chinese Civil War, and the Korean War. During the Cold War, he was chief of war plans for NATO’s Fourth Allied Tactical Air Force, based in Ramstein, Germany. Retiring with the rank of lieutenant colonel, Braeunig received combat decorations including the Distinguished Flying Cross and five Air Medals. Moving to La Mesa, Braeunig joined Ryan Aeronautical Company’s marketing planning operations. He is survived by a daughter, two sons, six grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.

Rita (James) Simon, PhD’57, a sociologist, died July 25 in Bloomington, IN. She was 81. After teaching at the University of Illinois, Hebrew University in Jerusalem, and the University of Chicago, Simon joined the American University faculty in 1983. The former editor of scholarly journals including the American Sociological Review, Simon wrote or edited more than 60 books and 325 articles on topics including immigration and racial and gender justice. She also served on the secretary of education’s Commission on Opportunity in Athletics. Her second husband, Julian Lincoln Simon, MBA’58, PhD’61, died in 1998. She is survived by a daughter, two sons, and ten grandchildren.

Philip J. Reinertsen, AM’54, PhD’58, of Bath, ME, died October 7. He was 89. A WW II Navy veteran, Reinertsen was a senior economist at IBM corporate headquarters. A resident of Wilton, ME, for almost four decades, he served on the Wilton Town Retirement Board and as a scoutmaster. Survivors include two daughters, a son, a brother, and four grandchildren.

Carol (Cox) Ingram, AM’59, a nurse, died September 29 in Mars Hill, NC. She was 80. A teacher at Mayland Community College, where she eventually directed its nursing program, Ingram also taught at Duke University School of Nursing and was a grief counselor. She is survived by her husband, James; a daughter; a son; and six grandchildren.


Joseph F. Bell, MBA’60, of Lombard, IL, died October 14. He was 91. A WW II Army veteran, Bell spent almost 30 years at Andrew Corporation, retiring in 1984 as vice president of manufacturing. Bell is survived by two daughters, a sister, and five grandchildren.

Shanker Shetty, AM’62, died April 8 in Greencastle, IN. He was 89. A personal assistant to Indian independence activist Jayaprakash “JP” Narayan before moving to the United States, Shetty was an economics and management professor at DePauw University for 15 years, retiring in 1994 but continuing to teach there part time on emeritus status.

Jack Kaufman, AB’60, of Fitchburg, WI, died October 6. He was 74. Kaufman was a professor of social work at the University of Wisconsin before cofounding the Wisconsin Institute for Psychotherapy with his wife, Dorothy Helman. He also was a therapist for 40 years in Milwaukee and Madison, WI. Survivors include two daughters, a son, a sister, and three grandchildren.

Mitchell S. Watkins, U-High’52, AB’60, MBA’65, died September 15 in Chicago. He was 76. An Air Force veteran, Watkins was a basketball player and track and field athlete at UChicago and an inductee into the University’s Athletics Hall of Fame. After stints working on economic development initiatives and social services, in 1971 Watkins founded Mitchell S. Watkins and Associates, one of the first African American consulting firms in Chicago. For two decades, he helped small minority-owned businesses navigate the commercial world and developed minority economic development initiatives for large firms including the First National Bank of Chicago and McDonald’s. Closing his firm in 1990, Watkins continued to work as a freelance consultant. He is survived by his wife, Marva (Eller) Watkins, AB’63; a daughter; a son; a sister, Millicent Conley, MST’73, PhD’05; seven grandchildren; and one great-grandson.

Frederick T. Zugibe, SM’59, PhD’60, of Garnerville, NY, died September 6. He was 85. A cardiologist and cardiovascular researcher, in 1969 Zugibe was appointed the first chief medical examiner of Rockland County, where he established the county’s first disaster response protocol. During his 34-year tenure, the Rockland Medical Examiner’s Office became a leader in the field of forensic science. In addition to maintaining an active medical practice and teaching pathology at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, Zugibe analyzed theories surrounding the circumstances of Jesus’s death, publishing several books on the topic. Survivors include his wife, Catherine; three daughters; three sons; a brother; 18 grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

James R. Faulstich, JD’61, of Mercer Island, WA, died September 22. He was 79. An Army veteran, Faulstich was VP of industry relations at the National Association of Independent Insurers before becoming president and CEO of the Federal Home Loan Bank of Seattle in 1979. Retiring in 1999, Faulstich served on the boards of the Greater Seattle Chamber of Commerce, the Washington Area Housing Partnership, and the Seattle Opera. Survivors include his wife, Gretchen; two daughters; a son; and six grandchildren.

John Martin Kidd, SM’62, PhD’62, of Asheville, NC, died October 3, 2012. He was 77. After working as a physicist at the University of Milan and the University of Bristol, in 1971 Kidd joined the US Naval Research Laboratory to do nuclear astrophysics research. The same year, he founded Kidd Instruments, where he built early keyboard instruments. Retiring from the laboratory in 1995, Kidd moved to Asheville to focus on his instrument making and to repair and restore bagpipes. His first wife, Margaret (Stinson) Kidd, AB’62, died in 1997. Survivors include his wife, Carol Parks; two daughters, including Jessica Alexandra Kidd, AB’90; two brothers, L. Wilson Kidd Jr., AB’58, and James Charles Kidd, PhD’73; and four grandchildren.

Thomas J. Wageman, MBA’62, died October 6 in Sherman, TX. He was 79. An Army veteran, Wageman joined the First National Bank in Chicago in 1963. He served as president and CEO at LaSalle National Bank in Chicago before being recruited to lead the First National Bank of Midland (TX) and, later, Sunbelt Savings in Dallas. Known for his expertise in reinvigorating failing banks, Wageman worked as a director in the financial industry until his death. Survivors include his wife, Letty; three daughters; two sons; and ten grandchildren.

Robert D. Quail, AB’64, MAT’66, of University Heights, OH, died September 28. He was 71. Quail taught high school physics in the Cleveland Heights-University Heights City School District for three decades. He is survived by two brothers and a sister.

Richard T. Brown, MBA’65, of Scottsdale, AZ, died October 14. He was 92. A WW II Army veteran, Brown held management positions with Oliver Farm Equipment, White Motor, and BorgWarner before starting Morse Rubber in Keokuk, IA. Survivors include his wife, Iola; two daughters; a son; six grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.


William J. Campbell Jr., AB’70, died of cancer September 4 in Chicago. He was 64. A Vietnam Navy veteran, Campbell also served as a military judge in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps. He started his own law firm in Chicago before joining Reuben & Proctor (later Isham Lincoln & Beale), where he represented the Chicago Cubs in the early 1980s. After the firm closed in 1988, Campbell joined Rudnick & Wolfe, becoming general counsel seven years later. In that role, he oversaw two mergers as the firm became Piper Rudnick and then DLA Piper, where Campbell remained as general counsel. Survivors include a daughter; a son; two brothers, including Thomas J. Campbell, AB’73, AM’73, PhD’80; and five sisters, including Heather C. Henry, AM’65.

David L. Jones, MBA’71, died August 27 in Spring Lake, NJ. He was 68. Jones worked for Western Electric, AT&T, and Lucent Technologies before retiring in the late 1990s. In retirement he taught at Lehigh University as an adjunct professor of business. Jones is survived by his wife, Alice; a daughter; two sons; his mother; a brother; and five grandchildren.

Monica A. Smith, AB’73, died of cancer October 9 in Portland, OR. She was 62. A labor lawyer for 26 years, Smith formed the firm Smith, Gamson, Diamond & Olney. Retiring in 2008, she continued to work for the Oregon Education Association in support of public education employees. Survivors include her husband, Jeremy Sarant; two children; and seven siblings, including brother Daniel Hoyt Smith, AB’66.

Dolores E. Marino, AM’75, died August 31 in Lewiston, NY. She was 80. Marino taught Latin, Spanish, and German in Niagara Falls public schools. She served as president of the Niagara Falls Public Library’s board of directors and of the Friends of the Niagara Falls Public Library. In retirement, Marino was an officer in local organizations for retired teachers. She is survived by three brothers and three sisters.

Charles A. “Charley” Wright, U-High’52, AM’63, PhD’75, a linguist, died September 23 in Arlington, VA. He was 75. After teaching German at the University of Illinois at Chicago, Illinois State University, and Wabash College, Wright became a German and East European analyst at the Central Intelligence Agency.

Lizbeth A. Gray, AM’76, of Corvallis, OR, died of cancer September 6. She was 62. Trained as a social worker, Gray spent many years teaching and mentoring at Oregon State University. Named the first associate dean for undergraduate affairs of the institution’s College of Public Health and Human Sciences, Gray was also one of the founders of the OSU Women’s Center. She is survived by her husband, Don; a son; a stepdaughter; her mother; two sisters; and a grandson.

Patrick Pomes, MBA’77, died September 21 in South Bend, IN. He was 64. A corporate planner for Allied-Signal Corporation (now Honeywell) until his March retirement, Pomes was also an adjunct professor at Indiana Tech University and Purdue University’s College of Technology in South Bend. Survivors include his wife, Debbie; a daughter; two sons; four brothers; and a granddaughter.


Stuart Beall Phipps, X’80, died September 14 in Kansas City, MO. He was 55. A high school teacher in Kansas public schools for 20 years, Phipps joined the University of St. Mary’s education department in 2012, after earning his PhD at the University of Missouri–Kansas City. Survivors include his partner, Carlos; his parents; and a brother.

Vladimir Gastevich Jr., AB’81, MBA’82, died of brain cancer September 15 in Chicago. He was 54. After four years as an attorney at Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal (now SNR Denton), Gastevich founded the real estate development and investment company ATG Corporation, where he served as CEO and general counsel. Survivors include his wife, Dora; a daughter; two sons; a brother; a sister; and a half-sister.

Robert Sotomayor, AB’83, died August 20 in San Antonio, TX. He was 52. An engineer for General Dynamics C4 Systems, Sotomayor was active in the Boy Scouts with his son. He is survived by his wife, Katrina; four children; his father; his stepmother; and two brothers.

George Daniel Emont, MBA’85, a life sciences venture capitalist, died of an aneurysm September 28 in Louisville, KY. He was 55. Known for raising millions in capital to help start early-stage companies, Emont was a managing partner of Triathlon Medical Ventures and the Kentucky Seed Capital Fund. A board member of several life sciences firms, Emont was regularly recognized as part of Business First’s annual Partners in Health Care program. He is survived by his wife, Jill; daughter Margo P. Emont, AB’11; a son; his father; and a brother.

Virginia Tomasek, MBA’87, died August 29 in Chapel Hill, NC. She was 65. The general manager of O. H. Bambas Tobacco Company, Tomasek was a member of the Library Board of Glencoe, IL. Survivors include three stepsons and four grandchildren.


Larry Ray Elkins, CER’03, MLA’08, died September 5 in Chicago. He was 74. Elkins joined the law firm of Chapman and Cutler in 1964. Specializing in corporate finance, he became a partner in 1972 and was a member of the firm’s management committee for several years. Elkin retired in 1998 and joined the board of Lincoln Park Village. He is survived by his wife, Nancy; a son; two stepchildren; and six grandchildren.

Matthew T. Corning, AB’09, died October 18 in Dayton, OH. He was 27. Corning was a third-year law student at the University of Dayton. Survivors include his parents, two sisters, and his grandmother.