University obituaries

Recent faculty, staff, board, and alumni obituaries.


Ben W. Heineman Sr., University of Chicago trustee emeritus, died August 5 in Waukesha, WI. He was 98. A corporate lawyer in Chicago for two decades, during WW II Heineman served as assistant general counsel in the Office of Price Administration and then as assistant director of the North African Economic Board. After holding several political posts, in 1954 Heineman took control of the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railway Co. following a successful proxy battle. Two years later he was named CEO of the Chicago and Northwestern Railway. In 1968 he turned the railways into a conglomerate, Northwest Industries, and four years later sold the railroad to his employees. Retiring as CEO of Northwest at age 71, Heineman was a trustee of the Art Institute of Chicago and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. His wife, Natalie (Goldstein) Heineman, PhB’33, died in 2010. He is survived by daughter Martha (Heineman) Pieper, U-High’58, AM’63, AM’74, PhD’79; son Ben W. Heineman Jr., U-High’61; six grandchildren, including Thalia Field, U-High’83; Jessica Heineman-Pieper, U-High’88, AM’97, PhD’05; Victoria Pieper Stein, MBA’92; and Johanna Heineman-Pieper, U-High’09; and two great-grandchildren.

Faculty and Staff

W. Gregor Heggen, AM’55, former chair of the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools’ German department, died August 17 in Bridgman, MI. He was 86. Heggen taught at Lab for almost four decades, reintroducing its German curriculum and starting one of the first postwar exchange programs with Germany for high-school students. Recipient of the school’s Master Teacher Award in 1974, Heggen retired in 1993. He is survived by a daughter, Raphaela (Heggen) Ades, U-High’81; a son; a sister; and two grandchildren.

Ping-ti Ho, James Westfall Thompson professor emeritus of history and East Asian languages and civilizations, died June 7 in Irvine, CA. A Chinese social and economic historian, Ho wrote two landmark studies: The Ladder of Success in Imperial China: Aspects of Social Mobility, 1398–1911 (Columbia University Press, 1962) and The Cradle of the East: An Enquiry into the Indigenous Origins of Techniques and Ideas of Neolithic and Early Historic China, 5,000–1,000 BC (University of Chicago Press, 1975). Elected to Taiwan’s Academia Sinica in 1966 and the American Academy of Arts and Science in 1979, Ho retired from UChicago in 1986 and was a visiting professor at the University of California, Irvine, until 1990. He is survived by two sons.

Charles Metz, professor of radiology and a member of the Committee on Medical Physics at the University of Chicago Medicine, died of pancreatic cancer July 4 in Burr Ridge, IL. He was 69. A leader in using mathematics to improve diagnostic tests, he developed the “Metz filter,” which enhances resolution in nuclear-medicine images. Joining the UChicago faculty in 1969, Metz was also former director of the graduate program in medical physics. With more than 250 scientific papers published, in 2005 Metz was honored with the L. H. Gray Medal from the International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements at its Conference of Medical Physics. He is survived by two daughters and three grandchildren.

Ernest Page, professor emeritus in medicine and of neurobiology, pharmacology, and physiology, died July 21 in Jerusalem. He was 85. A pioneer in electron microscopic studies of biological processes, the WW II veteran researched cardiac ion channels and the atrial natriuretic peptide hormone, which can lower blood pressure. Joining UChicago in 1965, he built a large cardiac muscle biology research program, publishing more than 100 articles. Recipient of the UChicago Medical and Biological Sciences Alumni Association’s Gold Key Award, Page chaired the Chicago Heart Association research committee and spent five years as editor of the American Journal of Physiology. Retiring in 1998, Page also coedited The Handbook of Physiology: The Heart (Oxford University Press, 2001). He is survived by his wife, Eva; his son, David Page, U-High’89, JD’98; and four grandchildren.

John Pitcher, AB’73, AM’76, University of Chicago Library facilities manager, died August 5 in Barrington Hills, IL. He was 61. Pitcher had worked in the library since he was a student, becoming a full-time employee in 1979. In 1995 he was named facilities manager, overseeing the Library’s many renovation projects and the construction of the Joe and Rika Mansueto Library. He is survived by his wife, Ava; two daughters, including Ola Pitcher,’13; a son; and brother Robert Pitcher, AB’72, JD’75.


Mary (Adelman) Gordon, PhB’35, died August 28 in Des Moines, IA. She was 99. After working for her father’s company, Guarantee Finance Corporation (later part of ITT Corporation), Gordon was married for more than six decades to Bennett Gordon, who died in 2004. She served as president of the Temple B’nai Jeshurun sisterhood and volunteered to teach Great Books courses in local public schools. Gordon is survived by two sons, eight grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

Philip B. Schnering, AB’39, died June 29 in Cockeysville, MD. He was 94. A WW II Navy veteran, Schnering was an executive with the Curtiss Candy Company and at McCormick & Company. He volunteered for youth organizations, receiving the Silver Beaver Award from the Boy Scouts of America, chairing the board of directors of the Camp Fire Girls, and serving as president of the Lincoln Boys Club in Baltimore. In 1957 Schnering received the UChicago Alumni Association’s Public Service Award. He is survived by his wife, Ruth; five daughters; a son; nine grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.


Alexander Saxton, AB’40, a cultural historian and novelist, died August 20 in Lone Pine, CA. He was 93. Raised in a literary family in New York City, Saxton started his career as a laborer and union organizer, when he also wrote his first novel, Grand Crossing (Harper & Brothers, 1943). After earning a doctorate in history from the University of California, Berkeley, in 1968 Saxton became a professor at UCLA and wrote the landmark The Indispensable Enemy: Labor and the Anti-Chinese Movement in California (University of California Press, 1971). At UCLA, Saxton helped to create the nation’s first Asian American studies program. In retirement, he continued to write, publishing Religion and the Human Prospect (Monthly Review Press, 2006). His wife, Gertrude Wright Saxton, AB’39, AM’41, died in 2001. He is survived by a daughter, a grandson, and a great-grandson.

Julius Tabin, SB’40, PhD’46, a physicist, died August 25 in Glencoe, IL. He was 92. After working on the Manhattan Project at Los Alamos, NM, Tabin joined the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and earned a law degree at Harvard. In 1950 he returned to Chicago, where he practiced at what is now Fitch, Even, Tabin & Flannery, doing patent and licensing work for scientific institutions. He retired in 2006. His wife, Johanna (Krout) Tabin, PhD’48, died in 2010. He is survived by two sons, including Clifford Tabin, AB’76; brother Seymour Tabin, AB’38, JD’40; and seven grandchildren.

Harold Bjork, MD’41, a radiologist, died August 8 in Kenosha, WI. He was 96. A Coast Guard veteran, Bjork was twice president of the medical staff at St. Catherine’s Hospital, where he founded its X-ray technician program. In 1978 Bjork was named a fellow of the American College of Radiology. After retiring from active practice in 1984, he served on St. Catherine’s board of directors. He is survived by a daughter, three sons, 16 grandchildren, and 12 great-grandchildren.

Caroline Grabo Moyer, U-High’37, AB’41, died August 18 in Fairfax, VA. She was 92. A librarian, Moyer was head of reference for the St. Louis County Library and later served as a reference librarian in Fairfax. Her husband, Robert Reynolds Moyer, AB’39, died in 1985. She is survived by two daughters, including Cynthia (Moyer) Turner, X’70; two sons, including Michael R. Moyer, AB’87; sister Cynthia M. Grabo, U-High’32, AB’36, AM’41; and four grandchildren.

Shirley (Borman) Thompson, AB’42, died July 18 in Indianapolis. She was 91. Her husband, Robert Thompson, X’43, died in 1994. She is survived by two sons and two grandchildren.

Robert Hentz, SB’43, died August 31 in Asheville, NC. He was 90. A WW II Army veteran, Hentz was an analytical chemist on the Manhattan Project. Teaching and doing research at institutions including the University of Notre Dame, Hentz published 67 papers on radiation chemistry, photochemistry, and radiochemistry and received five patents. Later in his life, he ran marathons and published a memoir. He is survived by four daughters, 12 grandchildren, and 14 great-grandchildren.

Barbara (Gilfillan) Crowley, U-High’40, AB’44, died August 13 in Pasadena, CA. She was 88. Graduating from Loyola Law School Los Angeles as one of the few women in her class, Crowley practiced estate, trust, and probate law for 25 years at Barton, Klugman & Oetting. She was active in organizations including the Pasadena PTA, the League of Women Voters, and the UChicago Alumni Association, from which she received a 1994 Alumni Service Award. She also spent years researching the Shakespeare authorship question. She is survived by two daughters, three sons, 11 grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

George Earl Taylor, SB’45, a mathematician and computer programmer, died May 20 in Bethesda, MD. He was 92. Joining the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency in 1950, he worked on the UNIVAC I and succeeding mainframe computers. After retiring in 1972, Taylor was a Red Cross volunteer and ran the Marine Corps Marathon at age 64. He is survived by his wife, Nora Moser Taylor, SB’47; two daughters; a son; and one grandchild.

Thomas Fineberg, SB’46, died May 27 in Chicago. He was 89. A math teacher at Chicago Vocational High School, Fineberg led the school’s chess club to many city championships and also coached the Tuley Park chess club. He is survived by his wife, Maxine; two daughters; and sister Marjorie (Fineberg) Abraham, PhB’48.

Jean Wenger Scherr, BLS’46, died July 6 in Columbus, OH. She was 97. After serving in the US Office of Censorship during WW II, Scherr worked as a librarian for the Columbus Public Library, Ohio State University Library, and Ball State University Library, where she also became  an associate professor of library science and head of the processing division. In retirement Scherr was a cataloger for the State Library of Ohio. She is survived by five cousins.

Beryl Barkman, MBA’47, died August 30 in Chapel Hill, NC. He was 95. The WW II Navy veteran taught at several institutions, retiring at 85 as associate professor of accounting and finance from the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth. In retirement, he was a deacon and Sunday school teacher at Beacon Baptist Church and volunteered for Meals on Wheels. He is survived by his wife, Mary; a daughter; two sons; seven grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Patricia (Reager) Beal, AM’47, of Bethesda, MD, died July 15. She was 87. A social-science research analyst at a predecessor of the US Department of Health, Education, and Welfare until her 1952 marriage, Beal then volunteered with community and church organizations. From 1987 to 1990, she led the widowed persons service at Iona Senior Services. Beal is survived by a daughter, two sons, and four grandchildren.

Jerome M. Ziegler, AM’48, died May 3 in Ithaca, NY. He was 88. After more than a decade with the American Foundation of Continuing Education, Ziegler served as commissioner of higher education in Pennsylvania and as a dean and professor in Cornell’s College of Human Ecology. He was a founding member of the faculty for the Cornell Institute of Public Affairs. He is survived by a daughter and two sons.

Robert Finnegan, X’49, died May 25, 2010, in Hinsdale, IL. He was 84. The WW II Navy veteran was a TV and radio sportscaster, doing play-by-play for the Chicago Cubs and White Sox, Northwestern football and basketball, the Sugar Bowl, and ABC-TV boxing. In 1990, after two decades as the White Sox public address announcer, Finnegan retired on the last day the Sox played in Comiskey Park. He is survived by a daughter; a son; and three grandchildren, including Erin Robertson, AB’09, MAT’10.

Joyce (Dannen) Miller, PhB’49, AM’51, died June 30 in Washington, DC. She was 84. Starting her career as an organizer for the Amalgamated Clothing Workers, Miller became the union’s education director and started a nationwide social services program for its members. In 1974 Miller helped found the Coalition of Labor Union Women, and six years later she became the first woman elected to the executive board of the American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations. In 1993 Miller was named executive director of the federal Glass Ceiling Commission. Miller received the UChicago Alumni Association’s Public Service Award in 1981. She is survived by a daughter; two sons; a brother; and two grandchildren.


Nathan Divinsky, SM’47, PhD’50, died June 17 in Vancouver, BC, Canada. He was 86. A mathematics professor at the University of British Columbia for 32 years, Divinsky was a bridge and chess master, twice captaining Canadian teams at the Chess Olympiad. He was Canada’s representative to the World Chess Federation from 1987 to 1994 and served as president of the Chess Federation of Canada. He also cofounded Canadian Chess Chat magazine, which he edited for 15 years, and wrote several books, including Warriors of the Mind (Hardinge Simpole, 1989). In 2001 Divinsky was inducted into the Canadian Chess Hall of Fame. He is survived by his wife, Marilyn; two daughters, including Pamela Divinsky, AM’82, PhD’90; and two grandchildren.

Elaine (Rozmarek) Tovar, AM’50, died July 7 in Chicago. She was 82. Fluent in Spanish, French, and Polish (in addition to her native English), Tovar started her career as a translator for Helene Curtis International and for Abbott Laboratories. Later, she served as a member of the Holy Family Academy Committee and on the board of the Schorsch Village Association. She is survived by four daughters, two sons, ten grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

Joseph Ousley, MD’51, died September 4 in Marshfield, WI. He was 87. An Army veteran, in 1955 Ousley joined the Marshfield Clinic as its first medical oncologist. He was chief of staff at St. Joseph’s Hospital from 1959 to 1962, also serving as the first medical director of its hospice program. Ousley retired in 1991. A singer, he was a founding member of the Central Chamber Chorale. He is survived by his wife, Mary; four daughters; two sons; one brother; three sisters; 13 grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Hubert Thurschwell, AB’51, JD’54, died August 20 in Bryn Mawr, PA. He was 81. The Korean War veteran practiced law in New York before becoming a Bell Telephone labor lawyer in Philadelphia. Retiring as assistant vice president, he consulted for Bell and volunteered for the Montgomery County Legal Aid Society. He is survived by his wife, Charlotte (Toll) Thurschwell, AB’51, AM’54; a daughter; two sons; and four grandchildren.

Wilfred Michael Biagas, SM’52, died May 12 in Pittsburgh. He was 88. A WW II veteran, Biagas was a chemist for Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory and Westinghouse before joining Point Park University, where he chaired the physical sciences and mathematics department. He is survived by two daughters, Barbara Biagas, AB’83, and Katherine Biagas, AB’82, and two grandchildren.

Richard “Dick” Jaffe, AM’52, died July 19 in Seattle. He was 89. A WW II veteran, Jaffe held UChicago jobs as director of the Reynolds Club and as assistant director and business manager at NORC, and he was a vice president at the Roper Center for Public Opinion Research. Later, he founded Telesurveys of Texas and served as its president. He is survived by a daughter; two sons, Jon Jaffe, U-High’72, and Robert Jaffe, U-High’70; a brother; four grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

George Kasai, SM’45, PhD’52, died July 20 in Marion, IA. He was 95. Interned at Poston, AZ, during WW II, Kasai later did research at UChicago on cholera. In 1969 he entered government service with the US Army at a medical laboratory in Japan and then at an Army medical center in San Antonio. Retiring at age 70, Kasai volunteered at local hospitals. He is survived by three daughters, four grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.

Elton Taft Ridley, U-High’43, MBA’52, died July 13 in Indianapolis. He was 85. An Army veteran, Ridley joined Indiana University in 1953 and was CEO of IU Hospitals from 1966 to 1972. He then taught hospital administration to IU graduate students, retiring in 1987. He also served on the board of the Indiana University School of Medicine Dean’s Council for more than a decade and provided scholarships for medical students. Recognized as a Sagamore of the Wabash by Indiana governor Robert D. Orr, Ridley received the Spirit of Philanthropy Award from Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis in 2001 and was inducted into the IU President’s Circle in 2008. He is survived by his wife, Margaret Riggs Ridley, CER’00; a stepdaughter; and two stepsons.

Janine (Lowell) Ludwig, U-High’50, AB’53, died April 22 in Los Angeles. She was 77. An artist and writer, Ludwig also worked in public relations at Herbert Margrill & Associates and at the Salvation Army. She is survived by two daughters, a son, and two grandchildren.

Chester Charlton McCullough Jr., MBA’53, died August 19 in River Forest, IL. He was 95. A WW II and Korea veteran, McCullough joined Chicago Title and Trust Company in 1939, becoming vice president in 1957. Seven years later, he transferred to Chicago Title Insurance Company, where he retired as senior vice president and secretary in 1982. He is survived by a daughter, a son, four grandchildren, one step-grandson, and two step-great-grandchildren.

Georgiana (Psik) Yates, AB’53, died March 9, 2007, in Chicago. She was 75. Yates worked as a senior editor for the Bank Administration Institute. She is survived by a daughter.

Mary R. Boyvey, AM’56, died May 12 in Austin, TX. She was 91. After working as a school librarian, Boyvey joined the Texas Education Agency as program director in 1966. She was a past president of the Texas Library Association and an American Library Association board member. In retirement, she took courses at the Lifetime Learning Institute of Austin and was active in a local Catholic church.

Jack Alex, JD’57, of Los Angeles, died July 21. He was 83. Alex served as a district attorney, a judge, and as a defense attorney in private practice. He is survived by his wife, Nida; three daughters; four sons; and 11 grandchildren.

C. Roderick O’Neil, MBA’57, died July 28 in Greenwich, CT. He was 81. O’Neil led the Manufacturers Hanover Bank’s trust department, then joined the Travelers Companies as chair of the finance committee and board member. After launching a private investment firm in partnership with Alan Greenspan, he became chair of financial consulting company O’Neil Associates. Past chair of the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation, he helped restore the Connecticut River waterfront in Hartford. He is survived by his wife, Nancy; two daughters; four sons; two brothers, including Terence “Terry” O’Neil, MBA’60; and 13 grandchildren.

John William Gosselin, JD’59, died September 1 in Batavia, IL. He was 78. An attorney in the local law firm Benson, Mair, and Gosselin, he was the city attorney of Batavia for many years. Gosselin is survived by his wife, Judith; two daughters; two sons; and three grandchildren.

Ann Coleman Peyton, AM’59, died June 26 in Boca Raton, FL. She was 80. An associate professor of English at Florida Atlantic University, where she taught courses on Irish and Southern writers, Peyton worked for the National Poetry Foundation before earning her doctorate from Florida State University. She was active in the local literary and art community and in the United Universalist Church.


Reginald Bartholomew, AM’60, a US diplomat, died August 26 in New York. He was 76. Starting his career in the Defense Department, Bartholomew moved to the State Department in 1974 and later served as assistant secretary of state for political-military affairs. In the late 1970s he was a key negotiator during strategic arms limitation talks between the United States and the Soviet Union. He served as ambassador to Lebanon during the country’s long civil war in the 1980s and as a special envoy to Bosnia in the mid-1990s, helping to draft the 1995 Dayton Peace Accords. He also served as an ambassador to Spain and Italy, where he became an executive in the international offices of Merrill Lynch until his 2011 retirement. He is survived by his wife, Rose-Anne; a daughter; three sons; a brother; and seven grandchildren.

Waverly B. Clanton Jr., JD’61, of Oak Lawn, IL, died July 1. He was 82. A Korean War veteran, Clanton practiced law for almost four decades. In 1972 he received the UChicago Alumni Association’s Professional Achievement Award. He is survived by his wife, Carrie (Alston) Clanton, MST’73; two sons, including Waverly Clanton, U-High’74; and four grandchildren.

James Steve Counelis, AM’51, PhD’61, died July 25 in Orinda, CA. He was 85. After teaching in the Chicago Public Schools, Counelis became an education professor at the University of San Francisco, where he taught for 28 years. For his service to the Greek Orthodox Church, he was named an Archon of the Order of St. Andrew in 1976. He is survived by his wife, Anna; two sons; a sister; and four grandchildren.

Stanley G. Irvine, AB’62, JD’65, died June 26 in Chicago. He was 71. Holding administrative positions in Chicago universities, including as head of technical services at the University of Chicago Law Library, Irvine also taught, first as an assistant professor of law at Chicago-Kent College of Law and later as an adjunct professor in the Graduate Library School of Rosary College (now Dominican University). He finished his career at the Chicago Board of Trade. His wife, Sharon (Smith) Irvine, AB’63, AM’76, died in 1987.

Patrick D. Krolak, SB’62, died August 25 in a car accident with his wife and son, Patrick M. Krolak, AB’93 (see below) in Duane, NY. He was 72. After a decade teaching computer science at Vanderbilt University, in 1982 Krolak joined the University of Massachusetts, Lowell, helping to start its Center for Productivity Enhancement. He retired in 2002 but continued to teach. He is survived by a daughter; son Michael Krolak, SB’98; a brother; and three grandchildren.

Verlyn Odell Smith, AM’62, a Lutheran pastor, died August 31 in Arden Hills, MN. He was 85. An Army Air Corps veteran, Smith promoted peace and social justice through organizations such as People of Faith Peacemakers and the Nonviolent Peaceforce. In addition to serving as a pastor in Minnesota parishes, Smith spent 13 years teaching church history and religion at Augustana College in Sioux Falls, SD. He is survived by his wife, Judy; two sons; two brothers; and three grandchildren.

William “Bill” Quarterman, MBA’62, died July 26 in Northville, MI. He was 74. For most of his 35-year career, Quarterman worked in human resources for Ford Motor Company, where he was a member of the Ford National Negotiating Committee and represented the company at the Council on Employee Benefits. He is survived by his wife, Gilli; two sons; and three grandchildren.

Robert “Bob” J. Adams, MBA’65, died July 10 in Dripping Springs, TX. He was 83. Adams spent three decades in Union Carbide Corporation’s international petrochemical division, including a stint in Tokyo. He is survived by his wife, Joan; a daughter; two sons; a brother; and six grandchildren.

Nathan Kantrowitz, AM’55, PhD’65, died August 27 in Chicago. He was 84. An Army veteran, Kantrowitz was the resident sociologist at Illinois’s Stateville penitentiary in the 1960s. He then conducted demographic and criminological research for universities and government agencies, retiring from the New York City Planning Department in 1998. Kantrowitz published two books, including Close Control: Managing a Maximum Security Prison—The Story of Ragen’s Stateville Penitentiary (Harrow & Heston, 1996) and was working on a biography of Prohibition-era gangster Jake “the Barber” Factor at the time of his death. He is survived by his wife, Joanne (Spencer) Kantrowitz, AM’57, PhD’67, and two sons.

Ted S. Brown, MBA’67, died March 3 in Edmonds, WA. He was 77. An army veteran, Brown was a real-estate appraiser for 38 years. He is survived by his wife, Marilyn; three daughters; two sons; a brother; two sisters; and six grandchildren.

Ronald Hamowy, PhD’69, a libertarian historian, died September 8 in Baltimore. He was 75. After cofounding the New Individualist Review at UChicago, Hamowy joined the University of Alberta’s history department in 1969, where he taught until his 1998 retirement. The author or editor of books including Government and Public Health in America (Edward Elgar, 2007) and The Encyclopedia of Libertarianism (SAGE Publications, 2008), Hamowy also edited the 2011 edition of The Constitution of Liberty (University of Chicago Press), originally published in 1960 by Friedrich Hayek, Hamowy’s UChicago adviser. He is survived by his companion, Clement Ho.


Michael Moffatt, AM’69, PhD’76, an anthropologist, died November 26, 2011, in Chapel Hill, NC. He was 67. Moffatt spent his academic career at Rutgers University, rising from adjunct lecturer to professor and serving as department chair and undergraduate and graduate director. His ethnographic study of the social and sexual lives of undergraduates, Coming of Age in New Jersey: College and American Culture (Rutgers University Press) was published in 1989. Retiring as professor emeritus in 2007, he continued work on a long-term research project on Indian Americans in New Jersey. He is survived by his wife, Pamela; two sons; and a sister. (This notice corrects information in the July–Aug/12 issue.—Ed.)

Daniel Friedlander, AM’70, died July 9 in Boulder, CO. He was 67. After teaching at a community college, Friedlander worked at IBM, Datapoint, and Novell before founding high-tech start-ups such as Palindrome and Timespring (two went public and three were sold). He was a founding member of the Colorado Cleantech Industry Association in 2000 and served on its board until his death. Friedlander was also an artist and an activist, helping to establish Shanahan Neighbors for Climate Action. He is survived by his wife, Diane Rosenthal, U-High’64; two sons; a sister; and three grandchildren.

Bernadette G. Callery, AM’71, died of ovarian cancer July 27 in Pittsburgh. She was 64. Starting her career as an assistant librarian at the Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation at Carnegie Mellon University, in 1987 Callery became a research librarian at the New York Botanical Garden. In 1994 she returned to Pittsburgh as librarian at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History. After earning a PhD from the University of Pittsburgh School of Information Science, she joined the school’s faculty in 2008. She is survived by her husband, Joseph, and a brother.

A. G. G. Gingyera-Pinycwa, AM’64, PhD’72, died March 19 in India. He was 74. A political-science professor for 36 years at Makerere University in Kampala, Uganda, he held administrative posts including dean of social sciences, executive director of the Makerere Institute for Social Research, and the school’s first deputy vice chancellor. In 1983 Gingyera-Pinycwa was elected president of the newly established United Nations Association of Uganda. He retired from teaching in 2003. He is survived by his wife, Sarah; seven children; and 11 grandchildren.

John Denison Hopkins, MBA’72, died September 3 in Charlotte, MI. He was 87. The WW II Navy veteran worked in manufacturing and moved to Charlotte in 1974 as general manager of aluminum extrusions at Hoover Ball Bearing Company, retiring in 1986. The general chair of the Charlotte Library Project, Hopkins was president of the Charlotte Rotary Club and received an Outstanding Citizenship Award in 1982. He is survived by his wife, Jean; a daughter; a son; two grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Earl Carlson II, MBA’73, died August 17 in Williams Bay, WI. He was 78. An Army veteran, Carlson spent 22 years as research director for Amsted Industries, later becoming corporate metallurgist and lead ISO auditor at Hudapack Metal Treating. He performed in local choirs as a baritone. He is survived by his wife, Joyce; four sons; two stepsons; a sister; and six grandchildren.

Joanne Donohue Curran, AM’76, died March 12, 2011, in Palatine, IL. She was 74. A proponent of education and lifelong learning, she was a children’s librarian early in her career. At 60 she received her PhD, writing her dissertation about Leo Tolstoy. She enjoyed photography, traveling, gardening, and watercolor painting. She is survived by a daughter, two sons, a brother, and two grandchildren.

Seth M. Rosen, AB’79, of Westlake, OH, drowned July 20 in North Carolina. He was 55. The vice president of Communications Workers of America District 4, Rosen cofounded the local Jobs with Justice chapter and created labor-community coalition Stand Up for Ohio. Rosen also played swing guitar and mandolin in local bands. He is survived by his wife, Kathleen Thomas Rosen, AB’77; a daughter; and a son.


Alice (Holly) Scott, PhD’83, died August 28 in Chicago. She was 77. In 1982 Scott became assistant commissioner of the Chicago Public Library, where she worked until 1998. Scott was honored in 2004 with the library’s Trailblazer Award for her work creating the African American Service Commission of Chicago for Ethnic Celebrations. She is survived by her husband, Alphonso; a daughter; son Christopher Scott, U-High’77, X’81; two brothers; and three grandchildren.

George Meyer Ebert, PhD’84, MD’85, a radiologist, died of apparent heart failure July 14 in Ames, IA. He was 59. Ebert practiced for almost a decade at Salem Radiology before joining Fletcher Allen Health Care in Burlington, VT, where he was also an assistant professor of radiology at the University of Vermont. He is survived by his wife, Charlotte; three daughters; and a sister.

Thomas Clinton Mullins III, SM’88, died of a heart attack July 28 in Fort Worth, TX. He was 53. An oil and gas geologist in Fort Worth for 25 years, Mullins spent much of that time as a partner with Fred Reynolds and Associates. He is survived by his wife, Denise; a daughter; a son; and three sisters.


Patrick M. Krolak, AB’93, died August 25 in a car accident with his father, Patrick D. Krolak, SB’62 (see above), and mother in Duane, NY. He was 42. Krolak started his career as a high-energy physics research assistant at Fermilab, Argonne National Lab, and CERN. Joining the City of Pittsburgh’s pension advisers, Marquette Associates, in 1995, Krolak was managing director at the time of his death. He is survived by his wife, Elizabeth; a daughter; a son; brother Michael Krolak, SB’98; and a sister.


Joshua Casteel, a Divinity School student, died of lung cancer August 25 in New York. He was 32. After enlisting in the Army, Casteel was an interrogator at Baghdad’s Abu Ghraib prison, but he later applied for conscientious objector status and was honorably discharged in 2005. Returning to the United States, he received his MFA at the Iowa Playwrights Workshop and wrote two plays about his experiences in Iraq, as well as a collection of essays, Letters from Abu Ghraib (Essay Press, 2008). He is survived by his mother and two sisters.

Eric Kerestes, a Chicago Booth student, died August 14 after being hit by a taxicab in Chicago. He was 30. While earning his MBA in the evening program, Kerestes was a district business solutions manager at Chicago infrastructure firm Kiewit. He is survived by his wife, Tatijana Stafets Kerestes, MBA’12; his parents; a brother; and a grandmother.